- UMass Resources
- UMass Research
Use of Ferrate in Small Drinking Water Systems
Laboratory-based studies: Batch tests and small continuous flow pilot tests
UMass Research Team: Dave Reckhow, John Tobiason, Yanjun Jiang, Joe Goodwill, Joshua Cunningham, Xuyen Mai
This is part of a long term research thrust aimed at developing new knowledge on ferrate's impacts on water treatment in support of its integration into US treatment practice. This work is supported by the US EPA under a stand-alone STAR grant (project #835172; 2011-2015) and it continues as a component of the WINSSS Center (project #835602; 2015-present).
Journal Articles from this work:
- Jiang, Y., J.E. Goodwill, J.E. Tobiason and D.A. Reckhow (2015) Effect of Different Solutes, Natural Organic Matter, and Particulate Fe (III) on Fe (VI) Decomposition in Aqueous Solution, Environmental Science & Technology 49:5:2841-2848 [CN139].
- Goodwill, J.E.; Jiang, Y.; Reckhow, D.A.; Gikonyo, J.; and Tobiason, J.E., (2015) “Characterization of Particles from Ferrate Pre-oxidation” Environmental Science & Technology 49(8):4955-62 [CN141].
- Jiang Y, Goodwill JE, Tobiason JE, Reckhow DA. (2016) Impacts of ferrate oxidation on natural organic matter and disinfection byproduct precursors. Water Research. 96:114-25 [CN150]
- Goodwill, J.; Jiang, Y.; Reckhow, D.A.; Gikonyo, J.; and Tobiason, J.E., (2016) “Laboratory assessment of ferrate for drinking water treatment” Journal AWWA, 108:3:80 [CN147].
- Jiang Y, Goodwill JE, Tobiason JE, Reckhow DA. Bromide oxidation by ferrate(VI): The formation of active bromine and bromate. (2016) Water Research. 96:188-97 [CN151] SD.
- Goodwill JE, Mai XY, Jiang YJ, Reckhow DA, Tobiason JE. (2016) Oxidation of manganese(II) with ferrate: Stoichiometry, kinetics, products and impact of organic carbon. Chemosphere. 2016;159:457-64 [CN149].
- Jiang Y, Goodwill JE, Tobiason JE, Reckhow DA. Comparison of the effects of ferrate and ozone pre-oxidation on disinfection byproduct formation potentials (2017) manuscript in preparation.
Book Chapters from this work:
- Jiang, Y., J.E. Goodwill, J.E. Tobiason and D.A. Reckhow (2016) “Impacts of Ferrate Treatment on Natural Organic Matter, Disinfection Byproducts, and Bromide”, in Disinfection by-Products in Drinking Water, C. Thompson, S. Gillespie and E. Goslin, eds., pg 151-160, Royal Society of Chemistry [CN157].
- Jiang, Y., J.E. Goodwill, J.E. Tobiason and D.A. Reckhow (2016) “Comparison of the Effects of Ferrate, Ozone, and Permanganate Pre-Oxidation on Disinfection Byproduct Formation from Chlorination,” in Ferrites and Ferrates: Chemistry and Applications in Sustainable Energy and Environmental Remediation, ACS Symposium Series 1238: American Chemical Society; 2016. p. 421-37 [CN158].
Dissertations and Theses from this work:
- Goodwill, J.E. (2015) Evaluation of Ferrate Pre-oxidation for Drinking Water Treatment, PhD Dissertation
- Jiang, Y. (2016) The Stability of Ferrate (VI) in Water and Its impacts on Disinfection Byproduct Precursors, PhD Dissertation.
- Use of Ferrate in Small Drinking Water Treatment Systems, (with John Tobiason) US EPA project #835172, 12/1/2011-11/30/2015
Related UMass Research Projects:
Secure UMass Research Site
Current Project at UMass: