Engineering is not merely a job, it is a profession. This implies that engineers have a responsibility to society and should strive to maintain high levels of ethical and moral conduct. This sense of ethical behavior should definitely be a part of your conduct as a student. For your reference the ASME Code of Ethics is included here.
I. using their knowledge and skill for the enhancement of human welfare;
II. being honest and impartial, and serving with fidelity the public, their employers and clients,
III. striving to increase the competence and prestige of the engineering profession.
2. Engineers shall perform services only in the areas of their competence.
3. Engineers shall continue their professional development throughout their careers and shall provide opportunities for the professional and ethical development of those engineers under their supervision.
4. Engineers shall act in professional matters for each employer or client as faithful agents or trustees, and shall avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance of conflicts of interest.
5. Engineers shall build their professional reputation on the merit of their services and shall not compete unfairly with others.
6. Engineers shall associate only with reputable persons or organizations.
7. Engineers shall issue public statements only in an objective and truthful manner.
Back to MME Student Handbook