J. MacGregor Smith
- B.Arch., University of California at Berkeley, 1968
- M.Arch., University of California at Berkeley, 1969
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1978
Professor Smith conducts research on topological
network design, facility layout and location, and stochastic network
design and analysis. In particular, he is doing research on Steiner
minimal Trees in 3-dimensions, Quadratic Set Packing and Layout
problems, State Dependent Queueing network analysis and finite
buffer queueing network models. Of more recent interest, is the
modelling of proteins and other biochemical structures with Combinatorial
Optimization as well as Computational Geometry concepts and algorithms.
He has also carried out extensive research projects with local
industries modelling their layout and manufacturing flow process
- H. Gosavi and J. MacGregor Smith An Algorithm for Sub-Optimal
Routing in Series-Parallel Queueing Networks, The International
Journal of Production Research 35 (5), 1997, 1413-1430.
- Smith, J. MacGregor and Badri Toppur, Euclidean Steiner
Minimal Trees, Minimum Energy Configurations, and the Embedding
Problem of Weighted Graphs in E^3, Discrete Applied
Mathematics 71 (1996), 187-215.
- Smith, J. MacGregor. Topological Network Design of State
Dependent Queueing Networks. Networks. Vol. 28, 55-68,
- Smith, J. MacGregor, Rich Weiss, Minoo Patel. An O(NxN)
Heuristic for Steiner Minimal Trees in E^3, Networks.
Vol. 25, 273-289, 1995.
- Smith, J. MacGregor and N. Chikhale. Buffer Allocation
for a Class of Nonlinear Stochastic Knapsack Problems
Annals of Operations Research Vol. 58 323-360, 1995
- Smith, J. MacGregor. Cellular Arrangement Problems with
Random Flows. Engineering Optimization, 24, 59-74, 1995.
NSF, Natick Laboratories, CMP, Digital
- Gonzales, E. (PhD) The Optimal Resource Allocation Problem
in Closed Finite Queueing Networks with Blocking After Service"
- Fain, R. (PhD) "The Optimal Routing Problem with Open
Finite M/G/C/C State Dependent Queueing Networks"
- Thumsi, V. (PhD) "Stochastic Facility Layout Planning
and Material Handling Network Design"
- Toppur, B., (PhD) "On Steiner Minimal Tree Problems in
3-Dimensional Euclidean Space"
- Patterson, M., (PhD) "Graph Theoretic Models of Facility
Layout and Location Problems"
- Yun, Y. (MS) On the Design of Cellular Networks with Diversity
and Capacity Constraints"
- Gosavi, H PHD The Optimal Routing Problem in Open, Finite
Queueing Networks, 1995.
- Wang, X., PhD, A Generalized Deisgn Methodology for Large
Scale Systems with Open Finite Queueing Networks, 1994.
- Li, W., PhD, Stochastic Facility Layout Planning and Traffic
Flow Network Design, 1993.
- Bakuli, D, PhD, Stochastic Network Evacuation Models, 1993.
- Mitchell, D., MS, Optimal Resource Allocation in M/G/C/C Static
Dependent Queueing Networks, 1995.
- Casstevens, M, MS, Approximating Closed Queueing Models Using
Open Queueing Models, 1995.
- Singh, A, MS, A System for Topological Network Design of Queueing
Systems with Multi-Server Queues, 1993.
- Marston 111B
- J. MacGregor Smith
- MIE Department
- 220 ELAB
- University of Massachusetts
- Amherst, MA 01003
- (413) 545-4542
- Electronic mail: