Jon G. McGowan
- B.S., Carnegie Institute of Technology, 1961
- M.S., Stanford University, 1962
- Ph.D., Carnegie Institute of Technology, 1965
Professor McGowan is actively involved in research dealing
with energy conversion systems involving thermodynamics, heat
transfer, fluid mechanics, and thermal systems analysis. His recent
work at the University has concentrated on research projects involving
renewable energy systems, with an emphasis on wind or wind/solar
powered systems. This work has focused on analytical models for
component of system performance analysis, and experimental work
dealing with the calibration/validation of such models. Examples
of this work include the development of models and design codes
for hybrid (wind/diesel/PV) energy systems, and the improvements
of components (such as the diesel generator or battery storage)
for hybrid systems. His recent work in windpower systems has focused
on the key design variables of wind turbines, and the economic
and performance analysis of large scale wind systems, especially
in the environment of New England.
- A. Rogers (Phd) Variable Speed Diesel Power Generation Design
Issues, June 1995.
- W. Q. Jeffries (PhD), Analysis and Modeling of Wind/Diesel
Systems without Storage, September 1994
- C. Avelar (MS), Design and Modeling of Hybrid Power Systems
for Brazilian Applications, May 1997.
- D. S. Jessup (MS) Battery Model Expansion for the HYBRID2
Program, May 1996.
- D. Pueshcel (MS), Offshore Wind Energy for New England: A
Reassessment of Potential, June 1994.
- J. F. Manwell and J. G. McGowan, Wind Diesel System Simulation:
A Screening Level Method, International Journal of Solar Energy,
17, p. 223-240, 1996.
- W. Q. Jeffreis, McGowan, Manwell, Development of a Dynamic
Model for No Storage Wind/Diesel Systems, Wind Engineering,
1, pp. 27-38, 1996.
- McGowan, Manwell, C. Avelar, C. Warner, Hybrid Wind/PV/Diesel
Hybrid Power Systems Modeling and South American Applications,
Renewable Energy, 1, p. 836-847, 1996.
- McGowan, Manwell, Modeling of Wind/Diesel/Hybrid Systems,
Energy Environment Monitor, 11, p. 47-58, 1995.
- Manwell & McGowan, A Combined Probabilistic/Time Series
Model for Wind Diesel Systems Simulation, Solar Energy, 53,
p. 481-490, 1994.
- Gunness Lab 7
- Jon G. McGowan
- MIE Department
- 220 ELAB
- University of Massachusetts
- Amherst, MA 01003-2210
- (413) 545-2756
- (413) 545-1027