Byung H. Kim
- B.S., University
of California at Berkeley, 1978
- M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1980
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute
of Technology, 1983
Professor Kim's area of research is
in manufacturing of polymeric materials. In particular, his
current research effort is being focused on minimizing residual
stress and birefringence in injection molded parts. This research
effort is being supported by NSF. Another research direction
is devoted to obtaining an optimal solution by automatically
searching the design and processing space of injection molding.
Some of the searching methods are based on direct-search method,
genetic algorithm, artificial neural network and Jordan's
reverse mapping. This effort is being supported by NSF and
Gillete Co. Other research effort includes development of
flow simulation capability of multi-component injection molding
processes. This project is supported by Gillete Co.
Please visit our Injection Molding Optimization Lab
- B.H Lee and B.H. Kim, "Optimization of Part Wall Thickness
to Reduce Warpage of Injection Molded Parts Based on the
Modified Complex Method", Polymer Plastics Technology
& Engineering Journal, 34(5), 793-811, 1995.
- B.H.Kim and M.C. Ramesh, "Automatic Runner balancing
of Injection Molds Using Flow Simulation", ASME Journal
of Engineering for Industry, Vol. 117, No. 4 , 508-515,
- B.H Lee and B.H. Kim, "Automated Design for the Runner
System of Injection Molds based on Packing simulation,"
Polymer Plastic Technology & Engineering Journal,
35(1), 147-168 , 1996.
- B.H Lee and B.H. Kim, "Automated Selection of Gate Location
based on Desired Quality of Injection Molded Parts," Polymer
Plastics Technology & Engineering Journal, 35(2),
- B.H. Lee and B.H. Kim., "Variation of Part Wall Thicknesses
to Reduce Warpage of Injection Molded Part -Robust Design
Against Process Variability", Polym. Plast. Technol. Eng.,
36(5), 791-807, 1997.
- J. Rioux, D. Yao, and B.H. Kim, "Characterization of
the Weldline Strength in Terms Of Crack Growth Resistance
in Injection Molded Thermoplastic Elastomers", Polym.
Plast. Technol. Eng., Vol. 37, No. 3, 369-383, 1998.
- Rakesh Sahu, D. Yao, and B.H. Kim, "Design Methodology
for Mininizing Wargape", Plastics Engineering, Vol.54,
No.5, 31-33, 1998.
- D. Yao and B.H. Kim, "Direct Search-based Automatic
Minimization of Weldlines in Injection Molded parts",
Polym. Plast. Technol. Eng., Vol.37, No. 4, 509-525,1998.
- D. Yao, B. Kim, J. Choi, and R. Brown, "Optimizing Injection
Molding Toward Multiple Quality and Cost Issues", Polym.
Plast. Technol. Eng., Vol, 38, No. 5, 955-966, 1999.
- ELAB 301A
- Byung Kim
- MIE Department
- 220 ELAB
- University of Massachusetts
- Amherst, MA 01003-2210
- (413) 545-2005
- (413) 577-2365
- Direction to UMass: http://www.umass.edu/visitors/directions.html
- Engineering homepage: http://www.ecs.umass.edu/