David O. Kazmer
Associate Research Professor
NOTE: In 2001, Dr. Kazmer took
a leave of absence to be Director of Research & Development
at Dynisco HotRunners. Afterwards, he joined the faculty at UMass
Lowell in the Department of Plastics Engineering. While he remains
on the faculty at UMass Amherst as an Associate Research Professor,
his primary focus is UMass Lowell. His personal homepage is http://kazmer.uml.edu.
- Ph.D., Stanford University, 1995
- M.S., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
- B.S., Cornell University, 1989
Professor Kazmer's domain is
design and manufacture of molded products from thermoplastic resin.
This includes both design research (cost estimation, feasibility
analysis, and robust design) as well as manufacturing research (process
tuning, simulation & analysis, sensing & control). Examples
of current research includes the development of new manufacturing
processes with improved real-time control as well as new robust
- Kazmer, D., Lotti, C., Breta, R. E. S.,
Zhu, L., "Tuning and Control of Dimensional Consistency
in Molded Products," Accepted to Advances in Polymer
- C.B. Theurer, L. Zhang, D.O. Kazmer, and
R.X. Gao, “Energy Extraction for a Self-Energized Pressure
Sensor” IEEE Sensors Journal, v. 4, n. 1, p.
28-35, 2004. Review.
- B. Fan, D. O. Kazmer, W.C. Bushko, R. P.
Thierault, A. J. Poslinski, “Birefringence Prediction
of Optical Media,” Polymer Engineering & Science,
to appear. Review
- Zhang, L., Theurer, C., Gao, R., and D.
O. Kazmer, "A Self-Energized Sensor for Wireless Injection
Mold Cavity Pressure Measurement: Design and Evaluation,"
ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, to appear. Review.
- L. Zhang, C. Theurer, R. Gao, and D. Kazmer,
“Frequency Design of an Ultrasonic Transmitter for Injection
Molding Pressure Measurement", Transactions of the
North American Manufacturing Research Institution of SME,
Vol. XXXI, p., 579-586, 2003. Review.
- B. Fan and D. O. Kazmer, “Warpage
Prediction of Optical Media,” Journal of Polymer Science:
Part B Polymer Physics, v. 41, p. 859-872, 2003. Review.
- L. Zhu and D. O. Kazmer, “An Extended
Simplex Method for Global Feasibility Evaluation,” Journal
of Engineering Optimization, v. 35, n. 2, p. 165-176, 2003.
- National Science Foundation
- Office of Naval Research
- GE Plastics
- Mold-Masters Ltd.
- 2005, Ranjan Najeri, M.S., "On
Line Estimation and Control of Flow Rates in Injection Molding"
- 2005, Mark Doyle, M.S., "Hot Runner
- 2005, Greg Rathbone, M.S., “A Comparison
of Birefringence Levels in Coining and Stamping of DVDs”
- 2004, Dheeraj Gupta, M.S., "A Low
Force Melt Valve for Plastics Processing"
- 2004, Akash Kamoolkar, M.S., "Optimization
of Ejector Systems for Injection Molded Parts Using Genetic
- 2005, David Hatch, Ph.D., "Manufacturing
Process Performance Measurement and Design"
- 2004, Charles Theurer, Ph.D., "Extraction
and Digitization of A Process Signal for Self-Powering a Wireless
- 2003, Nirmal Doshi, M.S., “Design
of a Platenless Injection Molding Machine,” Review. Product
Manager/Product Development Coordinator, Alcoa Flexible Packaging
- 2003, Kaushik Manek, M.S., “Validation
of Statistical Yield Prediction Methods”
- 2003, Bingfeng Fan, Ph.D., , “Quality
Simulation and Optimization of Optical Media Produced via Injection-Compression
- 2003, Gautam Balasubrahmanyan, M.S., “The
Stability of Plastic Melt Flows at Low Temperatures and Flow
- 2003, Yash Dave, M.S., “Concept
Validation of a Melt Brake for Extrusion”
- 2001, Liang Zhu, Ph.D., “An Extensive
Simplex Method for Global Feasibility Evaluation in Systems
- 2001, Prasanth Ambady, M.S., “Adaptive
Control of the Injection Mold Cooling Process”
- 2000, Charles Theurer, M.S., “Conceptual
Design of a Remotely Energized Pressure Sensor”
- 2000, Haihong Xu, M.S., “Shrinkage
Prediction of Thermoformed Parts”
- 1999, David Hatch, M.S., “Modeling
and Optimization for Processing of Optical Media”
- 1999, Christoph Roser, Ph.D., “A
Flexible Design Methodology”
- 1999, Haoyu Xu, M.S., “Cooling considerations
for Injection Molding”
- 1999, Ian Stuart, M.S., “Production
Quality Improvements in Plastics Processing”
- 1998, Adekunle Fagade, Ph.D., “The
Role of Complexity in Product Life-Cycle Cost”
- 1998, Tatiana Petrova, M.S., “Hybrid
Neural Networks Models for Prediction pf Molded Part Quality”
- 1997, Deepak Kapoor, M.S., “Multi-Cavity
Melt Control in Injection Molding”
- 223 Ball Hall
- David O. Kazmer
Department of Plastics Engineering
University of Massachusetts Lowell
1 University Avenure
Lowell, MA 01854
- (978) 934-2962
- (978) 458-4141