Robert X. Gao
Technical University of
Technical University of
Central Academy of Arts and Design (former), Beijing, China,
- Integrated sensing methodologies
for the condition monitoring, health diagnosis, and remaining service
life prognosis of manufacturing equipment;
- Mechatronics, smart devices,
structures and materials;
- Energy-efficient sensor
networks for coordination-based information acquisition;
- Energy harvesting from the
- Multi-domain sensor signal
- Wireless data
· R. Gao and Z. Fan,
“Architectural design of a sensory-node-controller for optimized energy
utilization in sensor networks”, IEEE
Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp.
415-428, April, 2006.
· L. Zhang, C. Theurer, R. Gao,
and D. Kazmer, “Analytic wavelets for multiple ultrasonic pulses
detection and differentiation”, ASME
Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 128, pp. 370-374, February, 2006.
- R. Yan and R. Gao, “Harmonic
wavelet packet transform: a new approach to machine condition
monitoring and health evaluation”, Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 21,
pp. 291-301, August, 2005.
- R. Gao and Y. Cui, “Vibration-based sensor powering for manufacturing
process monitoring”, Transactions of the North American Manufacturing
Research Institution, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Vol. 33,
pp. 335-342, May, 2005.
· R. Gao, C. Wang, and S. Sheng,
“Sensor placement strategy for high quality sensing in machine health
monitoring”, Smart Structures
and Systems, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 121-140, April, 2005.
- L. Zhang, C. Theurer, R. Gao, and D. Kazmer, "A
self-energized sensor for wireless injection mold cavity pressure
measurement: design and evaluation," ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control,
Vol. 126, pp. 309-318, June, 2004.
- R. Yan and R. Gao, “Complexity as a measure for machine
health evaluation”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and
Measurement, Vol. 53,
No. 4, pp. 1327-1334, August,
- R. Gao and P. Huenerberg, “Design of a CDMA-based
wireless data transmitter for embedded sensing”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation
and Measurement, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1259-1265, December, 2002.
- B. Holm-Hansen and R. Gao,
"Vibration analysis for a sensor-integrated ball bearing”, ASME Journal of Vibration and
Acoustics, Vol. 122, pp. 384-392, October, 2000.
Varghese, S. Pathare, R. Gao, C. Guo, and S. Malkin, "Development
of a sensor-integrated 'Intelligent' grinding wheel for in-process
monitoring", Annals of the
CIRP, Vol. 49, pp. 231-234, January, 2000.
- Elected Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal
of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 2005 –
- Associate Editor, Transactions
on Instrumentation and Measurement, Institute of Electrical and
Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2000 – Present.
- Chairman, Sensors and Instrumentation Panel, ASME Dynamic
Systems and Control Division, 2000
- Chairman, Technical Committee on Built-in-Test and Self-Test,
IEEE Society of Instrumentation and Measurement, 1999 – Present.
- Senior Research Fellow, National Institute
of Standards and Technology, 2001 and 2003.
- Named Adjunct Professor, Northeastern University, China, 2002.
of the CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 1996.
of the Outstanding Junior Engineering Faculty Award, University of Massachusetts,
- Faculty advisor and co-recipient of the
inaugural Best Student Paper Award, SPIE International Symposium on
Smart Structures and Materials, 1997.
Co-Editor, “Condition Monitoring and Control for Intelligent
Manufacturing”, Springer-Verlag, ISBN 1-84628-268-3, 2006.
- Guest Editor, IEEE Transactions
on Instrumentation and Measurement, Special Issue on
Built-in-Test, published in June, 2005.
- Guest Editor, ASME Journal
of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Controls, Special Section
on Sensors, published in June, 2004.
- Conference Co-Chair, SPIE International
Symposium on Sensors
and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical and Aerospace
Systems, San Diego,
CA, 2005 and 2006.
- Invited speaker for State-of-the-Art Lecture on Built-in-Test
and Self-Test, IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technical
Dr., Elab Bldg.