UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
ECE 697PP: Special Topics: Design for Manufacturability and Reliability
of VLSI Circuits
Description: A seminar/project course on the theory and practice
in designing for manufaturability and reliability of VLSI circuits.
The topics to be covered include:
- 1. Introduction.
- 2. Manufacturing Defects.
- Particulate defects
- Large parametric excursion
- Lithographic aberrations (e.g., problems related to diffraction,
focal image plane and dose)
- 3. Defect Modeling.
- For critical yield (critical area calculation and optical
- For parametric yield (litho and resist simulation)
- 4. Yield Models (with and w/o redundancy).
- 5. Defect Tolerance Techniques.
- Architecture based techniques (memories, processors, PLAs etc)
- Circuit/layout hardening techniques
- Algorithm based tolerance
- Statistical methods
- 6. Reliability Issues.
- Hot Carrier.
- Gate oxide problems.
- Testing for reliability problems.
- 7. Industrial Perspectives (case studies).
- Course References.
- Hints for preparing a paper
- Lecture Slides:
Next classes will be on Monday at 10am and Wed. at 11am in the KEB
3rd floor conference room..
Israel Koren, KEB 309E, Tel. 545-2643,
Email: koren 'at' ecs.umass.edu, and
Sandip Kundu, KEB 309J, Tel. 577-3309,
Email: kundu 'at' ecs.umass.edu
Basic courses in Digital Design and VLSI.
Integrated Circuit Manufacturability: The Art of Process and
edited by J. P. de Gyvez et al., IEEE Press, 1999.
Schedule: TuTh 1:00-2:15 - will be changed during the first
Office Hours: TBD
Course web page:
All details regarding the course will be available at:
- Presentation of papers in class - 25%
- Presentation report (concentrating on criticism and suggestions for
improvements/extensions) - 15%
- Attendance and participation - 20% (you should read the
papers to be presented by other students, before the class, in
order to participate in the discussion.)
- Final project - 40%