UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Digital Computer Arithmetic - ECE666
Description: A detailed study of the theory and design of
of arithmetic in computers.
The topics to be covered include:
- 1. Introduction: Number systems and basic
- 2. Unconventional fixed-point number systems.
- 3. Sequential algorithms for multiplication and division.
- 4. Floating-point arithmetic.
- 5. Algorithms for fast addition.
- 6. High-speed multiplication.
- 7. Fast division and division through multiplication.
- 8. Efficient algorithms for evaluation of elementary functions.
- 9. Logarithmic number systems.
- 10. The residue number system; error correction
and detection in
arithmetic operations, .
Undergraduate courses in Digital Design and Computer Organization.
- Recommended book:
Computer Arithmetic Algorithms, I. Koren, 2nd Edition,
A. K. Peters (part of CRC Press), 2002.
- Recommended reading:
by M. Ercegovac and T. Lang,
Morgan Kaufman, 2003 (ISBN 1558607986).
Computer Arithmetic: Algorithms and Hardware Design,
by B. Parhami,
Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Course web page: All details regarding the course
be available at:
- Midterm 1 - 25%
- Midterm 2 - 25%
- OWL quizzes - 15%
- Final project or take-home Final Exam - 35%
Created by Prof. Israel Koren, koren 'at' ecs.umass.edu